Lately I've been noticing how often people say to me, "I would never..." and then finish with something they've heard I do. Now, honestly I think this is a little rude, but that is not the purpose of this blog! The purpose of this blog is to say that, I've started to realize, that the things they usually mention are some of my favorite things.
My favorite example, near the end of nursing school I was given the opportunity to live in Eastern KY at a United Methodist mission for 6 weeks. Everything was paid for. I got to play in the mountains. I got school credit for spiritual work. I got to know a whole new community in a way I may never be able to do again. How often in your life can you pick up and move to a new and strange place for 6 weeks?? And, best of all, I had NO CELL PHONE SERVICE! (With the stress of graduation and being class president, this was an amazing gift.) To me, this was a no brainer. However, I was told by classmates, "I would NEVER do that." And, I'm fairly certain some people even used the word crazy. Well, my trip turned out to be a great decision and one of the best experiences of my life. I got to know Christ in a new way, got to know nursing in a new way, and got to know myself in a new way.
So, looking ahead to the most recent "crazy" decision I've made, the decision to go back to school and pursue a research career and a Ph.D. in nursing, I feel more confident in my risk taking. When other new graduates tell me they would NEVER go back to school so soon, I laugh. That might work for you, but, I've never regretted making choices others would NEVER make!
A long time ago, when I was just a kid, I realized I was kind of different. I felt extremely challenged by my faith and really felt God's hand on my life. This is not nessicarily a good thing when you are 16. One frustrating adolescent day, I prayed and asked God, "Why can't I just be normal? I just want to be a normal Christian who goes to church and doesn't have to worry about it too much otherwise." Never have I said anything to God that I have been more glad He ignored. I am so glad He has taught me to do things some people NEVER would and am so glad He taught me to be weird for Him. I hope I continue to do things that many people never would, and I pray it continues to be as fun as its been so far!
Sunday, June 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment