“ You can have all this world. But give me Jesus.” - Fernando Ortega
This year has been a crazy year for me. I have seen countless childhood dreams come true. Like the writer of Ecclesiastes, I sought after pleasures of all kinds and tried to truly enjoy life. I was given honors, including being chosen to speak at UK’s graduation in front of a crowd of thousands. I had dates with some amazing men. I made tons of friends with whom I enjoyed a range of awesome activities. I did karaoke. I danced. I saw Washington DC. I bought my first home and made my first real paycheck. I became financially independent from my parents and made money of my own. I have sought after vanity with make-up, tanning, hair coloring, and working out. In all of these worldly pursuits, I have found success, and then like the writer of Ecclesiastes again, I have found it all meaningless. (Lest my amazing friends get me wrong, I must clarify my relationships with you are not meaningless. It is just the pursuit of worldly success, which I have found meaningless. I have tended to value popularity over relationship.)
All these things, the things I have spent years of adolescence dreaming of, were completely unsatisfying. God gave me everything I thought I wanted, to show me that all I ever wanted or needed was Him. When He promises you the desires of your heart, don’t be surprised if it is your desires that change, not what He gives.
So, today, I have learned even more what it means to be surrendered. Thank you God, for taking me back, though I never deserve it. Thank you for friends who always inspire me to be better than I am. Thank you for the man you have for me one day and please bless all the men who were not meant to be with me and the women they will find. Thank you for financial peace and please use it for Your purposes only. Please continue to break my heart for what breaks yours.
Finally, today I say, with Fernando Ortega, “You can have all this world. But, give me Jesus.”
Sunday, April 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm so proud of you. :)
ReplyDeleteLove, Melissa
Christine, this writing - and you! - are amazing. To say that you are wise far beyond your years is a great understatement!
ReplyDelete"Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them;...Ecclesiastes 12:1
And I absolutely love that song!!! In fact I just recently learned to play it (piano)!!!
Pax
Stefan
Great post, Christine! You are a beautiful person!
ReplyDelete